Saturday, March 30, 2013

Wouldn't mind staying, but gotta get going

The Exuma Cays are perhaps the most isolated islands in The Bahamas, and that's our final destination. The water between the islands is only a few fathoms deep at their deepest, and filled with tropical fish. Thinking about the place makes the wait worthwhile. Yes, we're getting anxious to leave already, especially with all the unseasonably cool weather, wind and rain here in SC, but taking a boat down the coast isn't the same as flying or driving down it. It's much more involved.

While living on the boat, every now and then I get a little cabin fever and decide to take a walk. The beach and resorts are starting to fill up with Spring Break vacationers from the Northeast, and many Southerners are taking their weekend trips here. I can tell just by their southern draw that they're from around here. I think I'm starting to acquire bits of the dialect. Lemey tell ya su'en. Muddy river water and sweet sweet tea is all the good living I need. I've always loved country music, and down here it's like I'm right in the middle of that culture. As I was walking past the House of Blues this evening, a cover band singing Carrie Underwood reminded me of that reality. Yeah, I know, she's kind of borderline pop, but still. You know what I mean. So shut yow mouth, y'all. I can get used to this, even though we are leaving the area soon. Be sure of it.  I'd love to stay here, but I also want to boat down the coast to The Bahamas.Oh well, you can't have your cake and eat it too. Pardon the cliche.

No comments:

Post a Comment